Thursday, February 2, 2012

Yummy Modified Thai Fried Rice Recipe

So I had some leftover rice I was trying to figure out what to do with. I was talking to my sis-in-law and she told me I should look up a recipe for Thai fried rice. After searching around online a bit I found this recipe over at realthairecipes.com After reading some of the comments under their recipe it seems as though maybe it's not 100% authentic since it doesn't have fish sauce in it. Well, I didn't have fish sauce on hand anyways, so I went for it. I made some changes so I thought I'd share my recipe with you here. Warning, this recipe isn't super specific as far as measurements. I usually just gauge how I make food depending on how it looks, smells and tastes as I go, so bear with me I'm not a cookbook author. :) 

Ingredients:

  • 3 T. Olive oil (divided 2T. and 1T.)
  • 1 cup sliced onion
  • 2 minced garlic cloves
  • 1 lb. of uncooked chicken breasts
  • 2 1/2 cups cooked rice (About a day old is good since it's better if it's a little dry apparently)
  • 4 diced roma tomatoes
  • 2 T. Soy Sauce
  • 3 T. Sriracha chili sauce
  • 2 eggs cracked into a bowl but not stirred
  • about 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
  • 5 chopped green onions
  • 1/2 cucumber chopped
  • 1 lime quartered

Directions:
  1. Prep all ingredients. Chop, mince, slice and dice all of the veggies. Cut the raw chicken breasts into bite-size, thin slices. If the rice is cold from being refrigerated heat it up a bit in the microwave so it's closer to room temperature.
  2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on high until hot. Add the sliced onion (don't add the green onion yet). Stir well and when it’s softened add the garlic. When the garlic is slightly browned add the chicken. Stir well. Keep flipping the chicken until it’s white on all sides.
  3. Stir in the rice and tomatoes.
  4. Add the soy sauce and Sriracha and stir well.
  5. Push the rice to the outside side of the pan so that there's an open hole in the middle. Add the remaining 1 T. of olive oil into the hole and drop the 2 eggs into the hot oil. Let set for a minute or two then stir it all together. Make sure that the eggs are fully cooked as you continue to stir everything together.
  6. Stir in the cilantro and green onions. Turn off heat.
  7. Serve with a quarter of the lime and some cucumbers on top. 


This recipe made 4 entree servings. Also, I'm not completely sure how much of the olive oil, soy sauce and Sriracha I actually used since I just added it as I went, so you may want to use your better judgement depending on your tastes.

I hope you enjoy it! I know I'll be making it again soon. :) Please feel free to comment or ask questions if there's anything you'd like to me to clarify.


And for good measure here's a video of my sweetie :)


1 comment:

Heather Toner said...

Oh what a smart little guy!