Friday, February 10, 2012

Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe and My Finished Tester Bag


So last Sunday was the Super Bowl and we went over to Tom's aunt's house. I wanted to make something to bring but they always have so many goodies already so it's tough to think of something that won't already be brought by someone else. In my family my aunt always makes stuffed mushrooms, and then it dawned on me, that usually nobody in Tom's family makes those! My aunt's recipe is super easy, so I thought I'd share it here! This recipe makes a lot of stuffed mushrooms, but for a big party they're perfect. You can always halve the recipe if you don't as many :) Also, apparently you can make these up to 2 days in advance without baking them. Then, when party-time rolls around pop them in the oven and add a few extra minutes of cook time. Yummy!

Ingredients:  
1 lb of spicy Italian sausage removed from casings
4 crates of mushrooms (about 4 dozen total)
block of cream cheese
1 Tbsp of Worcestershire Sauce

Directions:
1.  Carefully remove stems from mushrooms and trim off the woody part and throw it away. Chop the non-woody part of the stem.
2.  In a large saucepan, start cooking the sausage over medium heat. Break up the sausage so it's in pretty small chunks as it cooks.  Add the chopped up mushroom stems to the pan of sausage as it cooks.
3.  Add the Worcestershire Sauce to the sausage and mushroom stems.
4.  Once the sausage is cooked and the chopped stems are tender turn off heat. 
5.  Add the block of cream cheese and stir in completely. The heat remaining in the saucepan should help to melt the cream cheese a bit and make it easier to stir. 
6. Lay all of the mushroom tops upside down on a cookie sheet that has a lip so the juices won't run off of the pan. ( I also tried using muffin tins to prevent the mushrooms from tipping over
7.  Use a teaspoon to put a bit of the mushroom/sausage mixture into the mushrooms. 
8.  Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
9.  Serve hot and enjoy!

 Waiting to be put into the oven!


All cooked and ready to serve!



I finished the tester for my mom's bag yesterday! Halleluiah! I love a good challenge, but trying to figure out how to construct this thing was tough for me! I know the fabrics/colors are not the greatest but keep in mind it was just a tester so I could figure out how to make it. Below are a few pictures of it.

Being displayed by my car. Outer pocket and straps are as long as she wanted. I don't know why the sides stick out a little like that, I think I'll need to interface those in the final bag I guess. :-/


Inside with dividers. My Mom wanted a skinny side (bottom part in picture) to put her laptop. Then 3 compartments for her water, papers to sit upright, and her coffee thermos. She gave me exact dimensions and I have to brag that it turned out exactly as she requested! :) Also there are two flaps that can be snapped on the top in case it rains or something, but when not in use just fold into the bag.


The bag sitting up on it's own.

What do you think of it? Any feedback/ suggestions are always welcome!

3 comments:

Tereza {Drastic Plastic} said...

I love stuffed mushroom so much especially ones with a tone of cheese.

You have a really cool blog here. Do you want to follow each other, I would love that.
Tereza
http://drastic-plastic-fantastic-plastic.blogspot.com/

Tom Chambers said...

I think the purse is awesome! Impeccably made!

Heather Toner said...

Very impressive! Well done!